About

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Signs Found During Poetry Adventures in the U.S. of A

Detroit, MI

Found this guy during the week of the Women of the World Poetry Slam. I have a zillion amazing photos from the Heidelberg Project, as well. More on that later (as a writing exercise.) I want a sandwich this big. I will drill a hole in it and sleep on a bed of lettuce. I will pull my hammy comforter up to my chin and dream sweetly.

Somewhere in upstate NY

Ironically enough, this was found on my way home from a writing workshop I was teaching in the Adirondacks, via the WoWPS. I was going to lie and tell you I am the Woodmen of the World Axe Juggling champion, but I thought that was going a little too far.



This was incredible because the actual motel looked like little gingerbread houses. Insert witty Faust references here.


Off the highway, somewhere in Virginia

aka "a turquoise jewelry convention."


Pennsylvania

These fried potatoes are more intelligent than your fried potatoes. They also know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. And will punch you.

Williamsport, PA

I'm sure they have really long hot dogs.

Somewhere outta Virginia

In fifth grade, I wanted nothing more than to have Chad Campbell hold my hand and skate in circles with me. Listening to Chaka Khan. Eating too many Red Hots.

Santa Monica, CA

Yes, I know, it's Sears. But look at that font! Much of Santa Monica is like this. If I worked here, I'd wear polyester pantsuits and frosty pink lipstick. And I would be crispy.


Portsmouth, OH

Bet you five bucks your potato salad has a crinkly hair in it.



1897, dudes. The year Frank Capra & Moe Howard were born. The year Dracula was published. The year Mark Twain was reported as "dead," only to announce to the New York Journal, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." The year one of my favorite writers was released from prison.